Laboratory of Modification of Biologically Active Compounds
Anatoliy I. Potopalsky
The development of methods for modification of biologically active substances and the study on the molecular aspects of their actions.
Current scientific research:
The mechanisms of alkylation of amines, nucleic acids and their components by the ethyleneimine derivatives are studied. The products of alkylation were purified and characterized, their biological activity being studied in different systems, and antitumoral, antiviral, and immunomodulating effects were found.
Novel medications were obtained and the ways of their application in medicine, veterinary, and agriculture for the influence on biological processes have been developed. The preparation Izatizon which has a wide range of antiviral, antitumoral and antibacterial effects, was registered in veterinary for treatment and prevention of viral diseases of birds and agricultural livestock, it was also recommended to cure people with viral diseases and tumors. New medicinal Izatizon forms (e.g. Izatizoniy) are being developed and tested.
The preparations of stimulators of plants growth are being developed on the basis of nucleic acids and their components. The methods of using native and modified nucleic acids to change the genetic apparatus are being developed. The genetic effects of alkyl DNAs were determined and new forms of rye, millet, and tomatoes with valuable features were obtained. Special kind of feed lupine with high protein content Industrialnuy (i.e. industrial) and a kind of pumpkin Kavbuz Zdorovjaga (i.e. watermelon/pumpkin, giant) were registered at State sorts register of Ukraine.
Experimental study on modificated products of alkaloids, their analogues and derivaties with wide range of activity is being conducted. The results of these researches are used for improvement of human health and environment.
Prof. A.I. Potopalsky together with former colleagues V.Novytsky (Austria) and M.Oliyovska were nominated to Nobel Prize in medical chemistry in 2004 for the development of antitumoral medications based on celandine alkaloids modification. Amitozyn, antitumoral medication of this kind, passed State clinical testing on the patients with malignant tumors of 3 and 4 degrees and was recommended for the application in medicine.
A.I. Potopalsky is the Honored inventor of Ukraine.
- Zaika L.A., Bolsunova O.I., Potopalsky A.I. Antiviral. Antitumoral and Immunomodulatory Properties of Therapeutic Drug Izatizon - K.: Kolobih.- 2010. - 212 p.
- Zaets I., Kramarev S., Kozyrovska N. Inoculation with a bacterial consortium alleviates the effect of cadmium overdose in soybean plants // Central European Journal of Biology. – 2010. – 5,N4. – P.481-490
- Ovcharenko L.P., Voznyuk T.M., Zaetz I.E., Potopalsky A.I., Reva O., Kozyrovska N.O. A mobile genetic element in Serratia marcescens, a causative agent of onion disease // Biopolym. Cell. - 2010. – 26,N4. – P.279-285
- Martynenko O.I. Molecular biotechnology methods. – Kyiv: Academperiodica of NAS of Ukraine, 2009. – 240 p.
- Potopalskyy A.I., Yurkevych L.N., Katsan V.Ì. Homeobox genes as possible targets of exogenous DNA effect in obtaining new forms of rye. Regularities of exogenous DNA effect in selection of short-stem forms of diploid rye // Factors of experimental evolution of organisms. – Kyiv: Logos, 2009. – 7. – P.55-60
- Potopalskyy A.I., Yurkevych L.N. Certificate of authorship for plant cultivar No. 08138 Ukrainian Tomato (Pomidor Ukrayinskyy) // Certificate of State registration No. 08077 (January 23, 2008)
- Potopalskyy A.I., Yurkevych L.N. Certificate of authorship for plant cultivar No. 0752 Echinacea purpnrea Beauty of Polissya (Polis’ka krasunya) // Certificate of State registration No. 07012 (January 11, 2007)
- Potopalska Yu.A., Osynskyy S.P., Susak Ya.M. Antitumour and modifying effects of preparation of alkaloids of Chelidonium majus, alkylated by thiophosphamide (experimental research) // Oncology. – 2007. – 9,N3. – P.219–221
- Potopalsky A. I., Yurkevych L.N., May the Third millennium have new plants for health, welfare, beauty, and longevity. - Kyiv: Kolobig,2005. - 168 p.
- Potopalsky A. I. The development of phytochemical antitumoral medicine of amitozyn with antiviral and immunomodulating effect is the beginning of new scientific direction of molecular sanitation of humans and the environment/ /Materials of international scientific and practical forum The Basis of molecular and genetic sanitation of humans and the environment. - Kyiv, - May 31 - June 1, 2005. – P.163-166