Laboratory of Modification of Biologically Active Compounds
Anatoliy I. Potopalsky
Education and Degrees:
1952–1956 Zhytomyr Medical School N 1, Paramedicobstetrician, Zhytomyr, Ukraine
1957–1963 M.D., Ivano Frankivsk National Medical University, Ivano Frankivsk, Ukraine, doctor
1966 M.D., Ivano Frankivsk National Medical
1972 Docent, Danylo Halytsky Lviv National Medical University, Lviv, Ukraine
1955–1957 Military Hospital, Medical point in Ushomyr MTS, Ukraine
1957–1963 Student Research Worker, Ivano Frankivsk National Medical University, Ivano Frankivsk,Ukraine
1963–1967 Post Graduate, Department of Pathophysiology, Ivano Frankivsk National Medical University, Ivano Frankivsk, Ukraine
1967–1970 Assistant of Department of Pathophysiology, Danylo Halytsky Lviv National Medical University, Lviv, Ukraine
1970–1977 Head of Laboratory, Department of Pathophysiology, Danylo Halytsky Lviv National Medical University, Lviv, Ukraine
1977–1978 Senior Research Scientist, Institute of Molecular Biology and Genetics (IMBG), NASU, Kyiv, Ukraine
since 1992 Director, Institute of Health Promotion and Rebirth of People of Ukraine Ltd., Kyiv, Ukraine
since 2004 Head of the Laboratory of Modification of the Structure of Biologically Active Substances, IMBG NASU, Kyiv, Ukraine
Honours, Prizes, Awards:
1985 Awarded title “The Best Inventor of NASU”
1994 Biography included in the international edition of “500 Top Movers”, USA
1996 Man of the Year according to the American Biographical Institute, Member of the Ukrainian National Society of Inventors
2004 Anatoliy I. Potopalsky together with former colleagues V. Novytsky (Austria) and M. Oliyovska were nominated for Nobel Prize in medical chemistry for the development of antitumoral medications based on celandine alkaloids modification
2006 Awarded the honorary title “Honoured Inventor of Ukraine” (Decree of the President of Ukraine N 1004/2006 of 28 November 2006)
The development of methods for modification of biologically active substances and the study of the molecular aspects of their actions
Current Research Activities and Recent Achievements:
The mechanisms of alkylation of amines, nucleic acids and their components by the ethyleneimine derivatives are being studied. The products of alkylation were purified and characterized, their biological activity being studied in different systems, and antitumoral, antiviral, and immunomodulating effects were found (Fig. 1). The anticancer drug Amitozyn has successfully undergone clinical trials and is recomended for Pharmaceutical Committee to oficial registration.
Novel medications were obtained and the ways of their application in medicine, veterinary, and agriculture that influence biological processes were developed. The preparation Izatizon which has a wide range of antiviral, antitumoral and antibacterial effects, was registered in veterinary for treatment and prevention of viral diseases of birds and livestock, it was also recommended to cure people with viral diseases and tumors (Fig. 2). New medicinal Izatizon forms (e. g. Izatizoniy) are being developed and tested.
The preparations of stimulators of plants growth are being developed on the basis of nucleic acids and their components. The genetic effects of alkyl DNAs were determined and new forms of rye, millet, and tomatoes with valuable features were obtained. Special kind of feed lupine with high protein content Industrialny (i. e. industrial) and a kind of pumpkin Kavbuz Zdorovjaga (i. e. watermelon/pumpkin, giant) were registered at the State sorts register of Ukraine (Fig. 3).
Experimental study of modified products of alkaloids, their analogues and derivatives with wide range of biological activity has being conducted. The results of these researches are used for improvement of human health and environment. Unique plants are collected in “Peremoha” park, established by A. Potopalsky in Korosten region (Fig. 4).
Projects of National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine:
- 2013-2015 N 50/13 ïðîåêò: “Create and preclinical study of new forms ²zatizon modified nanosilver in herpes virus diseases and preparation of documents for registration”
- 2010–2014 N 114/10-Í ïðîåêò: “Creating of antitumor complex based on nanoparticles of amitozyn and platydiam drugs and its experimental and clinical study”.
with Ukrainian organizations:
- Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv (Kyiv)
- National Cancer Institute, Ministry of Health of Ukraine (Kyiv)
- R. E. Kavetsky Institute of Experimental Pathology, Oncology and Radiobiology, NASU (Kyiv)
- V. Bakul Institute for Superhard Materials, NASU (Kyiv)
- F. D. Ovcharenko Institute of Biocolloidal Chemistry, NASU, (Kyiv)
- Institute of Physics, NASU (Kyiv)
- D. K. Zabolotny Institute of Microbiology and Virology, NASU (Kyiv)
- Ukrainian Research Institute of Traumatology and Orthopedics, Ministry of Public Health of Ukraine (Kyiv)
- Kyiv Institute for Nuclear Research, NASU, (Kyiv)
- State Institution “Institution L. V. Gromashevsky Institute of Epidemiology and Infectious Diseases NAMS of Ukraine” (Kyiv)
with foreign organizations:
- CRBM (Macromolecular Biochemistry Research Center) UMR 5237, (Montpellier, France)
- M. M. Shemyakin-Yu. A. Ovchinnikov Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry, RAS (Moscow, Russia)
- Potopalsky A, Bolsunova O, Zaika L. New methods for molecular genetic recovery of humans and environment. LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing, 2014,123 p.
- Herman B, Gudrun A, Potopalsky AI, Chroboczek J, Tcherniuk SO. Amitozyn Impairs Chromosome Segregation and Induces Apoptosis via Mitotic Checkpoint Activation. PLoS ONE. 2013; 8(3): e57461. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0057461
- Potopalsky A. I., Bolsunova O. I., Zaika L. A.Molecular genetic biotechnologies – the way to the welfare of the people and increasing of agriculture profitability Biopolym. Cell. 2013; 29(4):261-265 doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0057461
- Voloshchuk TP, Adonin VI, Vorobiova II, Potopalsky AI. Structure of alkyl radicals upon alkylation by thiotepa. Ukrainica Bioorganica Acta 1. 2013:24–32.
- Potopalsky AI, Zaika LA, Bolsunova OI. Molecular genetic biotechnologies – the way to the welfare of the people and increasing of agriculture profitability. Biopolym. Cell. 2013; 29(4):261–265. doi:10.7124/bc.000820
- Potopalsky AI, Yurkevich LN, Katsan VA. Influence of Izatison and Nanosilver Preparations on the Photosynthesis Pigments Level Content in Leaves, Growth Processes and Productivity of Oat Plants Cultivar Nezlamny. Proceedings of the International Interdisciplinary Scientific Conference "Biologically Active Substances and Materials: Fundamental and Applied Problems", May 27–June 1, 2013, Novy Svet, AR Crimea, Ukraine. 1:233234.
- Zaets I, Kramarev S, Kozyrovska N. Inoculation with a bacterial consortium alleviates the effect of cadmium overdose in soybean plants. Centr Eur J Biol. 2010; 5(4):481–90. doi:10.2478/s11535-010-0025-1
- Zaika LA, Bolsunova OI, Potopalsky AI. Antiviral, antitumoral and immunomodulatory properties of therapeutic drug izatizon. –K.: Kolobih, 2010, 212 p.
- Ovcharenko LP, Voznyuk TM, Zaetz IE, Potopalsky AI, Reva O, Kozyrovska NO. A mobile genetic element in Serratia marcescens, a causative agent of onion disease. Biopolym. Cell. 2010; 26(4):279–85. doi:10.7124/bc.000160
- Potopalskyy AI, Yurkevych LN, Katsan VM. Homeobox genes as possible targets of exogenous DNA effect in obtaining new forms of rye. Regularities of exogenous DNA effect in selection of short stem forms of diploid rye. Factors of experimental evolution of organisms. Kyiv: Logos, 2009.7. P. 55–60.
- Potopalska YuA, Osynskyy SP, Susak YaM. Antitumour and modifying effects of preparation of alkaloids of Chelidonium majus, alkylated by thiophosphamide (experimental research). Oncology. 2007: 9 (3):219–21.