Group of Molecular Pharmacology
Zenoviy Yu. Tkachuk
Education and Degrees:
1965–1970 Graduate Student, Faculty of Biology, Yurii Fedkovych Chernivtsi National University, Chernivtsi, Ukraine, M.Sc. (biochemistry)
1971–1973 Postgraduate Student, Department of Genetics of Microorganisms, D. K. Zabolotny Institute of Microbiology and Virology (IMV), NASU, Kyiv, Ukraine
1974 Ph.D. (genetics of microorganisms)
1974–1977 Junior Research Scientist, Department of Genetics of Microorganisms, IMV NASU, Kyiv, Ukraine
1977–1983 Junior Research Scientist, Institute of Molecular Biology and Genetics (IMBG), NASU, Kyiv, Ukraine
1983–1987 Senior Research Scientist, IMBG NASU, Kyiv, Ukraine
1987–1998 Head of the Laboratory of Oligonucleotides Biochemistry, IMBG NASU, Kyiv, Ukraine
since 2004 Head of the Laboratory of Molecular Pharmacology, IMBG NASU, Kyiv, Ukraine
1991–1992 Advisor to the Verhovna Rada of Ukraine
1992–1993 Advisor to the Prime-minister of Ukraine
1993–1994 Advisor to the President of Ukraine
1995–1996 Advisor to the Speaker of Ukraine
1996–1997 Advisor to the Prime-minister of Ukraine
Studying the mechanism of action of 2’-5’oligoadenylates and their role in the regulation of the innate immunity
Creating new immunomodulatory and antiviral drugs from natural oligonucleotides
Ñurrent Research Activities and Recent Achievements:
We study the immunomodulatory effects and antiviral activity of oligoadenilates against a wide range of viruses of both DNA and RNA nature. We also investigate the effect of oligonucleotides on innate immunity genes expression at various viral diseases and cancer.
We examine the polyvalent activity of oligoadenilates and their ability to bind signaling proteins, slightly altering their conformation and thus modulating their activity. These are primarily Ca2+ binding proteins, protein kinases and nucleases. The ability of oligonucleotides to change the secondary structure of both viral DNA and RNA, making them accessible for enzymatic cleavage is studied.
The hypothesis which explains the mechanism of action of oligoadenylates and their involvement in the regulation of innate immunity has been proposed. Based on this hypothesis, a new imunomodulating drug Nucleinat and antiviral medicine Nuclex with a wide spectrum of action have been developed and implemented. Nuclex is effective against different viruses of both RNA and DNA nature.
Projects of National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine:
- 2013–2014 Project “Fundamentals of the development of anticancer and antiviral drugs” (scientific supervisors – Dubey I. Ya., Tkachuk Z. Yu.)
- 2009–2013 Project “To study the mechanism of 2‘, 5’-oligoadenylate interaction with calcium-binding proteins” (scientific supervisor – Tkachuk Z. Yu.)
- 2007–2010 Project “To study the mechanism of calmodulin activation of “core” 2’-5’-oligoadenylates and their analogues and the synthesis and study of biological activity of new ligands based on oligonucleotides” (scientific supervisor – Tkachuk Z. Yu.)
- 2004–2008 Project “To study the interaction of 2’-5’-oligoadenylate analogues with fosfodiesterase of cyclic nucleotides and to monitor new anti-inflammatory drugs in vitro and in vivo” (scientific supervisors – Tkachuk Z. Yu., Dubey I. Ya.).
with Ukrainian organizations:
- Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv (Kyiv)
- Institute of Physics, NASU (Kyiv)
- O. V. Palladin Institute of Biochemistry, NASU (Kyiv)
with foreign organizations:
- Institute of Biochemistry and Biophysics, PAS (Warsaw, Poland).
- Marchyshak T.V., Yakovenko T.G., Tkachuk Z.Yu. Influence of oligoribonucleotides-D-mannitol complexes on the expression of genes under acute thioacetaamide-induced hepatotoxicity. Reports of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, N 7, 2018. – Ð. 96-102
- Skorobogatov OY, Kukharenko AP, Kozlov OV, Dubey IY and Tkachuk ZY. 2'-5'-Linked Triadenylates Act as Protein Kinase Activity Modulators. Journal of Proteomics & Bioinformatics. 2018. V. 10, ¹ 12. – Ð. 320-323. DOI: 10.4172/jpb.1000457
- Marchyshak T.V., Yakovenko T.G., Igor Shmarakov, Tkachuk Z.Yu. The Potential Protective Effect of Oligoribonucleotides-d-Mannitol Complexes against Thioacetamide-Induced Hepatotoxicity in Mice. Pharmaceuticals, N 11 (3), 2018. – Ð.1-14. doi:https://doi.org/10.3390/ph11030077
- Melnichuk N., Semernikova L., Tkachuk Z. Complexes of Oligoribonucleotides with D-Mannitol Inhibit Hemagglutinin–Glycan Interaction and Suppress Influenza A Virus H1N1 (A/FM/1/47) Infectivity In Vitro. Pharmaceuticals. 2017. V. 10, ¹3: 71. DOI: 10.3390/ph10030071
- Melnichuk N., Semernikova L., Tkachuk Z.. Study on oligoribonucleotides-D-mannitol complexes effects on the influenza A virus H1N1 (A/FM/1/47) infectivity in vitro and expression of some host genes under the influenza infection in vivo. Biopolymers and Cell. – 2017. – Vol. 33. N 3: 229
- K. Ferenc,T. Pilżys, T. Skrzypek, D. Garbicz, M. Marcinkowski, M. Dylewska,P. Gładysz, O. Skorobogatov, Z. Gajewski, E. Grzesiuk, R. Zabielski. Structure and Function of Enterocyte in Intrauterine Growth Retarded Pig Neonates. Hindawi Disease Markers. Article ID 5238134 (9 pages), 2017. doi:10.1155/2017/5238134
- M.M. Vivcharyk, O.O. Ilchenko, S.M. Levchenko, Z.Yu. Tkachuk. RNA Complex with mannitol, its spectral characteristics and biological activity. Reports of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, 2016, 10: 78-83.
- Melnichuk N., Vivcharyk M., Tkachuk Z. Effect of Oligoribonucleotides-D-mannitol complex on the hemagglutinin of influenza A (H1N1) virus. 8th International conference bioresources and viruses, 12-14th September 2016, Kyiv, Ukraine. – 2016. Abstract P. 45-46.
- Shmarakov IO, Marchyshak TV, Borschovetska VL, Marchenko MM, Tkachuk ZYu. Hepatoprotective activity of exogenous RNA. Ukr. Biochem. J. 2015; 87(4):37-44.
- Chernega OI, Levchenko SM. Nature of the lowest electronic transition of thia- and quino-cianines with fluori-nated polimethine chaine. Dyes and Pigments. 2015; 123:176-185.
- Tkachuk Z. Multiantivirus compo-und, composition and method for treatment of virus disease. US patent. 2014;#8,722,642 B2:61.
- Tkachuk ZYu, Kozlov AV, Skorobogatov OYu. Structural Changes In Therapeutic RNAs. Macromolecular Symposia. 2014;335:17-19.
- Levchenko SM, Rebriev AV, Tkachuk VV, et al. The detection of interaction betwe-en oligonucleotides and interferon, a key protein of antiviral cell defense system. Mol.Cryst.Liq.Cryst. 2014;590(1):213-220.
- Viniychuk OO, Levchenko SM, Przhonska OV, et al. Electronic transition in polymerthine dyes involving local and delocalized levels. Jour.Mol.Str. 2014;1060:30-37.
- Bashmakova N, Shaydyuk E, Levchenko S, et al. Desigh and electronic structure of new styryl dye bases: steady-state and time resolved spectrosco-pic studies. Journal of Physical Chemistry A. 2014;118(25):4502-4509.
- Skorobogatov O, Lozhko D, Zhukov I, et al. Impact of dephos-phorylated 2'-5'-linked oligoade-nylates on apo-S100A1 protein’s conformation, studied by hetero-nuclear NMR and circular dichroism. Biopolym. Cell. 2014;30:279-285.
- Tkachuk ZYu. 2'5'Oligoadenylates as a "tool" of innate immunity. Biopolym. Cell. 2013; 29(4):266–76. doi:10.7124/bc.000821
- Levchenko SM, Rebriev AV, Tkachuk VV, Dubey LV, Dubey IYa, Tkachuk ZYu. Studies on the interaction of oligoadenylates with proteins by MALDITOF mass spectrometry. Biopolym. Cell. 2013; 29(1):42–8. doi: 10.7124/bc.000804
- Tkachuk Z. Multiantivirus compound, composition and method for treatment of virus disease. – United States Patent – 2013 –N 8,420,617 B2. Apr.16, P. 38.
- Tkachuk ZYu, Sotska YaA, Frolov VM, Kruglova OA. Nuclex therapy for patients with chronic hepatitis C. Int. J. Immunological Studies. 2012; 1(4):349–64. doi:10.1504/IJIS.2012.051236
- Frolov VM, Tkachuk ZYu, Kruglova OA. Application of immuno modulator Nucleinat in clinical practice Infections Diseases. 2012. 4:82–90.
- Tkachuk ZYu, Dubey L, Tkachuk VV, et al. Studying the interaction of 2'5'oligoadenylate and their counterparts from proteins by fluorescence spectroscopy. Ukr.biohim.Zh. 2011; 83(1):45–53.
- Tkachuk Z. Compound, compozision and method for treatment of inflammatory and inflammatoryrelated disorders. United States Patent2004 N US 6,737,271. May 18, P.38.